Thursday, October 22, 2015

Home Remedy: Hot Dr. Pepper with Lemon

lemon slices
Photo: AsliKaplan

Hot Dr. Pepper - Great Tasting Remedy

Tastes Great and Helps You Feel Better


Several years ago, an elderly friend had pneumonia. We went by to visit and see if we could do anything to help.

His wife offered us a cup of hot Dr. Pepper. It didn’t sound very appealing, but to be polite we thanked her and took a cup. It was surprisingly good.

She sliced a couple of lemons into 1/4 inch rings and put them in a medium saucepan. Then she added about a liter of Dr. Pepper, and turned on the heat. After the Dr. Pepper simmered for about 10 minutes, she poured it into large mugs and made sure each mug got at least two slices of lemon.

She told me she uses this every time her husband gets pneumonia, which is often since he has chronic lung problems. He won’t eat when he is sick. The sugar in the Dr. Pepper gives him some needed calories, and the lemon gives him a good dose of vitamin C.

About a year later, I had pneumonia and remembered hot Dr. Pepper. It really helped. I am not sure why or how it helped, but I started feeling better within a few hours. The coughing wasn’t as bad, either, and I was able to get some sleep.

Now, when we have bronchitis, flu, colds or pneumonia in the house, we make sure we have Dr. Pepper and fresh lemons available. The warm liquid helps ease a sore throat, too.

I am not a doctor and am not prescribing anything to you. Please see your health care professional if you are ill. This recipe is one I have used with my family, and it works for us.

I have not tried the recipe with Diet Dr. Pepper, so I do not know if it works as well as regular Dr. Pepper does with this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment