Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Essential Oils May be Right for You

Photo: (c) Naomi Elliott, 2015
My seventeen year old daughter was carrying on a conversation the other day that I happened to over hear. She was explaining why she never goes to the doctor. Maybe it would surprise most people to know that my children, my husband and myself rarely go to the doctor. I know it does, I've seen the looks of wonder, and the occasional looks of horror.

But, what surprises me is that it seems that everyone around me goes to the doctor every other week or so.

I don't believe we are healthier than most, or even fortunate with no sickness. Believe me we get sick; however, I always treat the illness as it starts with a few homeopathic skills I've learned over the years and essential oils.

If the need arises and there is something I can't treat, like the horrid case of poison ivy my youngest daughter got two years ago -- they will be the first one in the waiting room.

I am making no claim that you shouldn't see your doctor, but there are a few things you can do before hand that will truly help and just might keep you from needing to sit in that waiting room at all!



Garlic Oil:

I am a firm believer in the power of garlic oil . When my children were babies and would come down with a cold or a virus, we would rub garlic oil on the soles of their feet. I know without a doubt that it helped.

I also use garlic for earaches. When my ears are hurting I spoon a little bit of the liquid in the minced garlic jar into my ear. (Be careful not to get any garlic chunks in your ears!) I would recommend sitting down before you use it, because it can mess with your balance!


Clove Oil: 

If you've ever had a toothache, you may already know that clove oil is a lifesaver.

Not too long ago I had a broken wisdom tooth surgically removed and subsequently I got dry socket. The pain was HORRIBLE! But, my dentist packed the socket with clove oil and the pain subsided.


Tea Tree Oil:

I've used tea tree oil to treat my husband's toe nail, and it really seems to help. According to WebMD tea tree oil, "Tea tree oil is applied to the skin (used topically) for infections such as acne, fungal infections of the nail (onychomycosis), lice, scabies, athlete’s foot (tinea pedis), and ringworm. It is also used topically as a local antiseptic for cuts and abrasions, for burns, insect bites and stings, boils, vaginal infections, recurrent herpes labialis, toothache, infections of the mouth and nose, sore throat, and for ear infections such as otitis media and otitis externa."


Lemon Oil:

Lemon oil is one of my favorite essential oils. It really makes me happy! I love the scent and when I'm feeling down or feel like I may be catching something I always put a couple of drops of lemon oil on my wrist. LOVE it!

An article titled, Health Benefits of Lemon Oil found on Organic Facts, lists several benefits of essential lemon oil. It even recommends using lemon oil to relieve stress. (No wonder it makes me happy!)


Peppermint Oil: 


Have you ever been somewhere and developed a severe headache? Well, I have and luckily I was in a vendor room near Cindy Barber's Young Living Exhibit. A friend told me to go over there and ask if I could sniff the peppermint oil. The Barbers encouraged me to try the oil and instructed me to place a few drops on the back of my hand and then lick it.

I did. I experienced a sensation that can only be compared to an intense wasabi eating moment. However, within minutes my headache was gone! I am so thankful they were there.

There are so many essential oils on the market, and lots of information about their uses and benefits can be found online. I recommend trying them today.



What are your favorite essential oils?









No comments:

Post a Comment